Trip Summary and Itinerary Map
Each year, we help hundreds of travellers explore East Africa. Every trip we run is tailor-made to match your dreams, budget, and appetite for adventure.
The itinerary below is designed to give you an overview of the route. Get in touch with our team for a full travel itinerary, or to create a tailor-made trip.
Day 1: Arrive at Arusha Airport
After a short drive from Arusha Airport, you’ll arrive at Katambuga House for an overnight stay. Katambuga House is located at the edge of the Mringa Coffee Estate and boasts the most beautiful gardens, lush lawns and stunning views of Mount Meru.
As the first stop in your Tanzanian safari, and just 10 minutes from the city centre, this is the perfect place to head out to explore the town if you have enough time. If you’d rather take it easy, enjoy a delicious dinner on the poolside deck overlooking the gardens, under a canopy of stars, before the next day’s travel to Karatu.
Day 2-3: Gibb's Farm
Gibb’s Farm is the perfect place to welcome you to the wonderful region of Karatu. Located halfway between Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater, the lodge offers breathtaking scenery and wildlife, as well as unique cultural activities.
From here you can easily either visit the world famous Ngorongoro Conservation Area or Lake Manyara National Park, both only a 2-hour drive from Gibb’s Farm. For a one-night stay, the cosy and inviting cottages, with private verandas and stone fireplaces scattered across the spacious grounds, make for the perfect place to relax before heading off to Serengeti National Park.
Day 4-6: Olakira Migration Camp
You’ll wake up early and be transferred to the Serengeti to spend three days at Olakira Migration Camp, exploring the spectacular safari region that is the Serengeti National Park. Olakira Migration Camp is a mobile tented camp that moves according to the wildebeest migration. When Olakira is in the south of the Serengeti (mid-December to April) you will drive from Gibb’s Farm, but when it is located in the north, you’ll hop on a short flight from Lake Manyara Airstrip. Either way, you’ll be in prime position to witness the excitement and thrill of the Great Migration as you head out on unforgettable game drives during the day.
At night Olakira comes into its own, as the incredible constellations of the African night sky reveal themselves. The specially designed stargazing tents offer 270-degree view from beneath a meshed net, and a magical experience of sleeping beneath the stars. This is the perfect way to end an incredible Great Migration safari before heading back home.
Day 7: Fly to Kilimanjaro Airport
On your final morning, you will be dropped at the nearest airstrip before catching a light aircraft flight back to Kilimanjaro for your onward journey.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
- Prices are per person based on two people travelling together. Travel during some peak season months will incur higher rates.
- Small adjustments to accommodation choices, routes, and activities can make a big difference to the cost of a trip in East Africa. The prices shown should be used as an indication only. Our team can create a tailor-made trip to suit your budget.
- Domestic flights.
- All road transfers and airport pickups/drop-offs.
- All accommodation as per the itinerary. Accommodation can be amended based on budget and preferences.
- All camping equipment where necessary.
- Fees for guides, scouts, drivers, and cooks.
- All entrance fees as per the program.
- Meal plan full board.
- Fees for all activities as per the program.
- Conservation charge.
- International flights and visa fees.
- Activities not mentioned or stated as optional in the itinerary.
- Other personal expenses, souvenirs, tips and gratuities, etc.