What we love about Cottar's Safari
It's well awarded: Winners of numerous accolades, including ‘Best Tented Camp in the World’, 'Best small to medium enterprise in Africa', and 'Fodor’s Travel Award' in the Trip of a Lifetime category
Incredible Location: Cottar’s is in the famous ‘seventh’ natural wonder of the world - the Masai Mara. Home to the game migration that includes over 2.5 million animals and the biggest success rates of big five sightings.
The best guides: Cottar's has the highest number of Gold Safari Guides within any one camp in Kenya. All of our guides are chosen for their unique skill set and great personalities.
About Cottar's Safaris
Comprised of three unique properties throughout the Masai Mara in Kenya, Cottar's work with the community to balance sustainable luxury travel with wildlife conservation. A 5th generation family run Cottar's Safari company - a family that has run safaris for 100 years.
1919 saw the founding of Cottar's and their traditions. For over 100 years, they have dedicated themselves to providing unparalleled safari experiences. Valuing top luxury and quality, Cottar's is reminiscent of the golden era of African Safari; an era of romance, professional guiding, adventure and elegance.
The 1920s Safari Camp has its own 7608-acre private conservancy and is situated one kilometre from the Maasai Mara and Serengeti reserve. Cottar’s 1920s Camp provides the romance of safari, the style of the twenties, without leaving behind any modern day comforts and luxuries.
- The camp has nine tents in total (two honeymoon suites, four double tents and three family suites), all family tents have living rooms with fireplaces
- Spacious en suite bathrooms
- The entire camp is situated to ensure that tents are private and quiet
- Two main mess tent areas for fine dining, drinking, reading and relaxing
- An amazing pool and spa where guests can relax after a game drive
The location of the camp provides easy access for day and night game drives to the Masai Mara game reserve and the conservancy, game walks, and cultural interactions with the Maasai community.
The winner of the 'World Travel Award for Africa’s Leading Luxury Private Villa', the Bush Villa borders the incredible Maasai Mara and Serengeti game reserves. A luxury private stay option for up to 12 guests, the villa has a breathtaking view onto the savannah plains that carry the great annual wildebeest migration, and is set amidst a backdrop of the Olderkesi Hills.
- Privately guided game drives, night game drives, bush walks, swimming and fishing
- Rented only on an exclusive basis
- Comes with a dedicated staff of 8
- Over 10,000 square feet in size
- Magnificent viewing deck
- 5 en-suite bedrooms, all with stunning views.
Ideal for those who want the immersive experience of a night in the bush and a sustainable safari experience. This is intimate camp has all the essentials for a memorable stay.
- Profits generated from safaris undertaken from this camp will go to the Cottar’s Wildlife Conservation Trust
- Consists of 7 luxury tents
- Each tent has its own private bathroom in a cubicle located behind the tent with a wash basin, hot safari-shower and long drop toilet
- An experienced safari cook is at the camp to prepare the daily meals, served in a beautiful large mess tent
- Guests can also relax in the dedicated Zen Tent
Activities at Cottar's
There is an abundance of activities to enjoy at Cottar's
Here's are some of our favourites:
Day and night game drives
- Bush walks
- Impact activities
- Swimming pool time
- Running with a Maasai Warrior
- Local school visit
- Swimming at the waterfall
- Maasai Warrior School
- Traditional canvas bush bath
- Maasai singing and dancing