Day 1 Rongai Gate (6,550 ft./ 2,000 m) - Rongai 1 Caves Camp (9,285 ft./ 2,830 m)
Departure from Arusha at 8am, about 5 hours drive (2 on rough roads) to the Rongai gate. After completion of administrative formalities and meeting with porters and guides, begin the 3 to 4 hour walk to the first camp. The walk is at a leisurely pace through fields and then into the rain forest. Arrive at your camp set in the heather, to your mess tent and a hot meal.
Day 2 Rongai 1 Caves Camp - Rongai 2 Caves Camp (11,300 ft./ 3,450 m)
About 4-5 hours trek through the heather will bring you to second caves. If the weather is clear, Mawenzi will be in plain view; a stunning sight. Enjoy stopping to see the exotic heather-zone flowers and plants which grow alongside the trail.
Day 3 Rongai 2 Caves Camp - Kikelewa Caves Camp (11,800 ft./ 3600 m)
Today is a short trek designed to help you acclimatize. A smaller track leads off the main trail through the moorland and towards Mawenzi’s steeply rising slopes. The trekking time is about 3 – 5 hours, arriving in camp for a hot lunch, and a chance to acclimatize while exploring the surrounding landscape of bizarre plants and rock formations and caves.
Day 4 Kikelewa Caves Camp - Mawenzi Tarn Camp (14,160 ft./ 4,315 m)
Trek from the moorland and eventually into the stark highland desert towards Mawenzi, on trails not frequented by many tourists. From the Tarn Campsite you will enjoy a magnificent view across the saddle towards Kibo; your final target. Total trekking time is 5-7 hours.
DAY 5 Mawenzi Tarn Camp - Outward Bound Camp (15,585 ft./ 4,750 m)
The trekking time today is 5 - 7 hours, though a relatively easy hike across the wide saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo. The trek takes you across the massive saddle- the crossing is impressive and the landscape spectacularly stark. Prepare all your gear for the night ahead, and turn in early to rest
Day 6 Outward Bound Camp - Uhuru Peak (19,340 ft./ 5,895 m) - Kibo Hut Camp
The steaming hot drink will arrive early on this momentous day. At dawn we begin the juggernaut (9-13 hours of trekking). The winding path of endless switchbacks will reach the famous snows of Kilimanjaro near after about 5-7 hours of trekking, when you will reach the edge of the crater at Gillman’s Point (18,750 ft./ 5,712 m) and the end of the steep track. From here, we wind our way along the summit ridge to Stella point and onwards to Uhuru Peak (another 1-2 hours from Gillman’s Pt.). You will likely be the only other group at the summit at this time of day (12pm to 3pm). After a short time at the summit, descend the steep scree trail to Kibo Hut for rest and nourishment from the camp kitchen.
Day 7 Kibo Hut Camp - Marangu Gate (5,900 ft./ 1,800 mt.)
Descend straight to the gate (6 - 9 hours), with a picnic lunch en route at Mandara Hut. Upon reaching the gate, you’ll be awarded climbing certificates and closing ceremony. Transfer back to Arusha for a much-welcomed shower and convalescence!
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Travel during some peak season months will incur higher rates.
- Oxygen for emergency use
- Hyperbaric Chamber
- First-aid kit
- VHF handheld radios
- Mobile phones (carried by all guides for daily communication)
- Satellite phone (carried at all times by the head guide)
- Safety equipment porter(s)
- A comprehensive safety briefing
- Wilderness First Responder Certified mountain guides
- Ratio of 1 guide per 2 guests (on average)
- Professional cook
- Campsite Manager
- KPAP monitoring porter
- Camp setting crew
- Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1 sleeping tents (a triple tent used as a double tent or single tent with supplement)
- Cold-weather sleeping mats (closed cell foam)
- Large private toilet tent(s) with portable flush toilets on a stable frame
- Large custom-designed and fabricated weatherproof dining tents
- High powered solar LED lights in the dining tent
- Lightweight aluminium chairs with backs
- Wash stands
- Wash basins
- Hot water bottles prepared each night
- Purified water
- Three healthy and energizing meals a day (we offer inspired and nutritious menu plans for those who are gluten-free, vegetarian, or vegan).
- Tea-time snacks upon arrival in camp
- Organic produce from our ½ acre garden at our office base
- Mountain cool boxes
- Round trip private transfers from/to Arusha or Kilimanjaro
- VAT - all Tanzania government Value Added Taxes are included in these prices
- Single person use of sleeping tent
- Personal porter
- Personal /additional assistant guide
- AED heart-saving device (optional on treks without crater camp)
- Private toilet tent, with portable flush toilet
- Gourmet KIMEMO coffee, made & served in insulated cafetieres
- Fancy cheese platter (at first lunch or final lunch at gate)
- Sparkling wine service at final gate
- Solar charging kit with 2 USB connectors
- National Park fees
- Optional items
- Emergency transport costs (helicopter evacuation)
- Personal expenses
- Personal medical kit
- Travel insurance
- Sleeping bags
- Personal trekking gear