Day 1: Yaeda Valley Fly Camp
You will be picked up from Manyara Airstrip or Karatu by your guide and 4×4 vehicle and driven through the Ngorongoro highlands and down into the Lake Eyasi basin, characterised by open grasslands, rocky ridges and hundreds of baobab trees. The drive takes approximately 4 hours from Karatu, and you will arrive in the late afternoon at your fly camp in the Yaeda Valley. Spend the evening learning more about the days to come from your guide, gaining an understanding of the Hadzabe people, their traditions and skills and also the wider area.
Day 2: Yaeda Valley Fly Camp
Enjoy an early start for breakfast before departing with a Hadza hunter and your guide. Hunting excursions are often a mix of honey gathering and eating berries, but also opportunistic if a monkey or mammal is seen. The hunting is typically a mix of walking and occasional running if the hunter sees something exciting.Return to your fly camp for lunch and a siesta and, in the afternoon, walk for around an hour to a nearby Hadza village where your guide will introduce you. Set off on a walk with the women to gather berries, baobab fruit when they are in season and dig for tubers. Men will often join the walk to harvest honey from hives in the trees.
Return to your fly camp for sundowners and to enjoy the views over the valley while recounting tales of the day’s adventures.
Day 3: The Journey Ends
Enjoy a hearty breakfast at the fly camp before departing by 4×4 with your guide back to Karatu or Manyara airstrip where your adventure concludes.
A 4-day/3-night option is also available, giving two full days with the Hadzabe.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person based on two people travelling together. Travel during some peak season months will incur higher rates.
- Private fly camp and guided activities with the Hadzabe
- All relevant concession and bed night fees
- All meals from dinner on day 1 to breakfast on day 3
- House drinks (soft drinks, beers, house wine, local spirits)
- Private 4×4 transfers starting and ending at either Karatu or Manyara airstrip
- Conservation charge, and Medevac cover
- International flights and visa fees
- Activities not mentioned or stated as optional in the itinerary
- Other personal expenses, souvenirs, tips and gratuities, etc.