Day 1: Simanjiro Fly Camp
Depart Arusha and drive south on dirt roads with your guide in a 4×4 vehicle onto the Maasai steppe and into the Simanjiro community wilderness area. The journey takes around half a day, and you’ll pass through rural farmland becoming pastoralist rangelands the farther south you drive.
You’ll stop for a picnic lunch in a shady spot on the Simanjrio plains which are filled with calving wildebeest and zebra in February and March. This afternoon, you can visit a Maasai boma with your guide, getting your first insights into Maasai life and traditions. These visits are structured but not staged and happen only once or twice per year so are truly authentic. Arrive in the late afternoon at your fly camp, with time to relax and shower before sundowners and dinner served under the African stars.
Day 2: Simanjiro Fly Camp
After breakfast, active types have the option to hike up the Oldonyo Sambu Mountain, with a bit of rock scrambling to reach the summit and spectacular 360° views of the Simanjiro plains and wider Tarangire ecosystem. Alternatively, set off on a walk from camp with the local Maasai and your expert walking guide to get acquainted. You’ll learn about the Maasai culture and the medicinal uses of various plants while enjoying the freedom of walking in the savannah. In the evening, you’ll have a traditional olpul-style roasted goat (‘nyama choma’), with guests encouraged to join and help in the preparation. Depending on the mood, the Maasai often encourage dancing around the fire with guests after dinner.
Day 3: Oliver's Camp
Depart your fly camp and the Maasai communities this morning, traveling by 4×4 vehicle with your guide to the eastern entrance of Tarangire National Park. Once you enter the park, you’ll enjoy a game drive, particularly in the wildlife-rich Silale Swamp region.
Arrive at Oliver’s Camp in the heart of Tarangire in time for lunch.
Overnight: Overnight not included in costs tonight. The itinerary finishes here and would typically be extended with a couple of nights on safari from Oliver’s Camp.
Prices, Departures and Inclusions
Prices are per person based on two people travelling together. Travel during some peak season months will incur higher rates.
- Private fly camp
- Guided walks with the Maasai and a fully qualified walking safari guide (armed with rifle for safety)
- All relevant concession and bed night fees
- All meals from lunch on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 3
- House drinks (soft drinks, beers, house wine, local spirits)
- Private 4×4 transfers starting at Arusha and ending at Oliver’s Camp within Tarangire National Park
- Conservation charge and Medevac cover
- International flights and visa fees
- Activities not mentioned or stated as optional in the itinerary
- Other personal expenses, souvenirs, tips and gratuities, etc.